There are two or three issues running on my mind, my heart, and my hands, but I can’t make up my mind to choose one of them. To ease the animosity galloping inside me, I’ll turn to a poetic heresy, which I hope will awaken your feelings and, perhaps, your comments too. I found a piece of my soul I’d left on a piece of paper several years ago, and now it’s come back to life again: Today I wanted to write no paper, no pencil, no ink, no words. To speak with that voice I don’t even understand for which I need the ears that I sometimes don’t have. To feel that you listened to me, without even knowing what I said
Comments Off on Why should we continue if we’re already there?
Yesterday I coincidentally came across a sentence by Bill Gates to officially say good-bye to his role as Chairman at Microsoft which made my heart wrinkle. His words were: “We have actually accomplished the goal of I wanted Microsoft to become.” I immediately imagined myself working at Microsoft, listening to these words come out of Bill’s mouth, and I thought I’d feel completely discouraged if the architect and creator of the company that I work at, the visionary and owner, the “white feather” came to me and said that we’d come to the point where he’d wanted to come. If we’re already there, why should we move forward? My heresy today is that we should design our road so that we actually “never get there” completely because getting there means dying. I believe a leader’s role […]
Comments Off on The difference between being a Professional and being a “Professionist”.
According to Pareto’s principle, 20% of an action is responsible for 80% of its effects. Meanwhile, 80% of the remaining actions only result in 20% of the effects. Incredible, isn’t it? This is as simple as important things that have multiple applications, including today’s heresy: Perfectionism is antagonical to efficiency, not to mediocrity. Information that will enable us to achieve an 80% response, i.e. in the right direction, only takes 20% of our investment in effort, time, and information. The remaining 80% we spend looking for more information is only going to contribute an additional 20% of value. This means that it makes no sense to try to achieve more than 100%. Professionism is an absurd of inefficiency. The problem is that many of our companies operate based on professionism instead of on […]
We have such a human tendency to make everything complicated! We believe that, to differentiate ourselves from the rest, we have to add bells and whistles to our products, our Power-point presentations, or a night of celebration with the ones we love, but the truth is that these bells and whistles are ones least note, the most expensive ones, and the ones most rapidly forgotten. My heresy today is an invitation to make what is simple our waterproof mark. Only what is simple opens a path to profoundness and exposes what is truly beautiful of us and our projects. To be simple does not mean to be “tasteless” as my mother would say. To be simple means to create projects of perfect minimalistic beauty which allows appreciating the quality and functionality of a […]
Comments Off on Become a butterfly this holiday season.
It’s inevitable, holidays are the season to exchange presents, with or without religion in the background. And we always ask ourselves what we can give to someone we care about, someone who’s special. We wonder what we can give to our customers for them to remember us for the rest of the following year and help our business grow. What should we give away that’s original, that set us apart, that’s awesome. I have an idea. I propose that we become butterflies this holiday season (see the blog titled “The butterfly effect“). I propose that the present we give is a wing flap that generates transformation in the world all year round: a present that makes us feel special will, in turn, make feel the one who receives it special and has an […]
Today’s the birthday of someone who made profound impact in my life, someone who lives in me. Her early death occurred eight years ago, and I’ve come to understand that death is simply something that confuses us because its reality cannot be seen with our earthly eyes, which are our only tool. Death confuses us because it leaves a million questions behind which only religions have dared to answer or, at least, to proclaim that those answers “are” the right ones. Thus, with death, at some point we’re inevitably drawn to a religious ceremony because we’re completely confused and we need to put all our love and the questions we have in the hands of the mystic, hoping that the esoteric will help us find the way to our loved ones. My heresy: […]
I believe that modesty is usually a misinterpreted value and, somehow, this misinterpretation has led to what I’ll call “false modesty”. We believe that we should be “modest” when we face recognition, and that the way to do so is by denying our own value: “no, no, it’s not that big a deal” or “come on, it wasn’t so hard”. When deep down we know that gave our best to bring something forward, that we made an effort, and that not only do we deserve recognition, but we were also expecting it. Thus, my heresy today is that modesty has nothing to do with the acknowledgement we deserve. What we should do is receive that acknowledgement with open arms, thank the person who is offering it to us, and celebrate. And this celebration […]
Comments Off on If it doesn’t have a dip, then it’s not worth it.
Today I’ve brought Seth Godin for him to share with us one of his many heresies, one from his book titled “The dip”. In a simple way, his short book illustrates the three possible shapes of our paths: a. The dead-end alley. The road is flat, it doesn’t have steep stretches or potholes, nothing happens there. You engage in a relationship, in a project or a job where today is the same as tomorrow. There aren’t many challenges. It’s not very difficult, but there are also not many rewards or overflowing bliss. “Total flatness”, as one of my girlfriends would describe her first marriage. b. The abyss. All the road is uphill, everything is positive, the happiness of a new project is uncontrollable, you have everything to win, but all of a sudden, […]
Comments Off on Courage: taking action despite your fear.
I love animals and of all animals, I’m crazy about dogs. Today I love them and respect them more than ever, especially after watching a video of a dog that completely risks his life on a highway in Chile to save another dog that had been run over by a car and was dying on the road. Today my heresy is so big that it has no words. Today I’m going to let this heresy be taught by this dog. This time it’s about the meaning of the word COURAGE: to be afraid and take action anyway.
My heresies come in different shapes. Today’s heresy shares a deep timeless feeling in the form of a poem I wrote 18 years ago when my heart was overflowing with heresy and passion. There may be another dawn of another day promissing a thousand different skies… Our hands may come together again But today is over now I don’t know about the night that will bring another morning… I know nothing. And that not knowing comes from the bottom of your soul! Poetic heresy